SpondyloArthritis & its Treatments
Spondyloarthritis (spondyloarthropathy) is the term that describes the connective tissue diseases. It is the group of inflammatory diseases, which include arthritis of the peripheral joints and spine (sacroiliitis or spondylitis); this also includes the area where ligaments and tendons attach to bones (enthesitis or enthesopathy). Spondyloarthritis diseases cause pain or stiffness in the leg or arm joints, spine, ligaments and tendons become inflamed. Skin rashes, eye, and intestinal problems may likely to occur.
Ankylosing spondylitis or Bechterew disease: It is the type of arthritis that affects the spine and gives symptoms of pain and stiffness in the lower back and in the neck. Spine bones fuse together and become rigid spine, leading to stoope over posture.
Psoriatic arthritis: a form of arthritis that affects the people who have psoriasis. Most people diagnosed with psoriasis and later diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. This may affect any part of the body such as fingertips and spine. The main symptoms are joint pain, stiffness, and swelling.
Reactive arthritis: It occurs due to the infection by certain bacteria. Often the bacteria’s from genitals (Chlamydia trachomatis) or bowel (Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella, and Yersinia). This bacteria usually affects the knees and the joints of ankles or feet.
Undifferentiated arthritis: Undifferentiated inflammatory arthritis does not conform to any of the recognized inflammatory arthritis types. It may include monoarthritis of a single joint; oligoarthritis, which is usually when four or fewer joints are involved; or polyarthritis, which usually involves many small joints.
• Family member having the gene which causes spondyloarthritis
• Positive results for the HLA-B27 gene
• Recurring bacterial infection in your gut
• Inflammatory conditions such as psoriasis or inflammatory bowel disease
• The main cause is not known, however researchers pointed out that the hereditary genetics playing an important role in this disease. Since this disease occurs often in family members of patients who have spondyloarthritis.
• Many genes cause it. Up to 30 genes have been found. But the major gene that causes spondyloarthritis is HLA-B27.
• Bacterial infections can also cause reactive spondyloarthritis known to be triggered by a bacteria chlamydia or food borne infections.
Symptoms and complications of Spondyloarthritis
The first and major symptoms of all types of spondyloarthritis are severe low back pain, swelling of arms, stiffness, and fatigue. The different types of spondyloarthritis can be manifested by the following signs and symptoms.
• Alternative or unilateral buttock pain
• Arthritis in small joints
• Arthritis in large joints such as knee joint, ankle joint and elbow joint (peripheral arthritis)
• Numbness and tingling sensation in arms and legs
• Spinal fusion may occur in ankylosing spondylitis
• Inflammation at the interfaces between bone and tendon or ligament of limbs (Enthesitis)
• Inflammation of intestine, urinary tract and aortic heart valves. These can lead to spinal joints inflammation
• Inflammation of joints in pelvis and spine (sacroiliitis)
• Enteropathic arthritis shows symptoms such as diarrhea and abdominal pain
• Digestive problems
• Skin disease like psoriasis
• Redness of eye (Iritis)
• Swollen fingers and
• Pain in the heels cause difficult to walk, stand even for small duration
Natural Treatment for Spondyloarthritis.
- Massage the affected area with the infused lemon peels in extra virgin zaytun oil
- Consumption of food reach in calcium, zinc and vitamin c
- Intake of fresh potato juice early in the morning ( 300ml)
- Daily exercise (yoga)
• Quit smoking: smoking speeds up the spinal fusion in addition to other bad health effects.
• Follow good posture: practicing a proper sitting and posture makes your spine to escape from growing into slumped-over position and strain.
• Daily physical exercise: Frequent home exercise and physiotherapy is essential to reduce the stiffening of spine and other joint problems. It also helps to have your heart healthy.
• Good diet: Follow the diets that are rich in calcium.